Thursday, September 22, 2016

Hexie Lovin'

I taught myself how to quilt about four years ago.  It was just something I decided to do one day when I realized I wanted to make a quilt for my baby (who's now four).  I bought a very basic sewing machine from Walmart and a pattern book for beginners, and then I just proceeded to make a quilt.  I think after I finished that one, I made four more in quick succession because I was hooked.

Almost two years later, I discovered English paper piecing, and I had a new crush.  My first EPP pattern was Lucy Boston's Patchwork of the Crosses.  I'd seen it on a website for my local quilt shop and was excited to find out they were teaching an EPP class later that week, so I signed up immediately.  I was only one of two people to show up, and the only one who'd never done EPP before.  It was just a one-hour how-to on basic English paper piecing, and that's all it took to hook me.  (And believe me, Lucy blocks are addictive and so much fun!!!)



After that, I started watching all the YouTube videos I could find, particularly Sue Daley.  From there I was able to learn the basics of stitching, basting (I'm a gluer), and fussy cutting.  And then all my free moments, including lunch hours, 15 minute breaks, and doctors' appointments, were spent hand-piecing.  (Gotta' love that EPP portability.)

It never bothered me how slow the process went, with its involved piecing process, stitching every single piece together by hand, plus the skill it takes to hide of each of those stitches (to the extent that it's possible anyway) because each fussy cut block came with an exciting reveal.  Plus, I found it very meditative, something I needed during a very difficult time in my life.  So admittedly, yes, it's very slow, and I enjoy every single minute of it.


"Lucy" in Progress
  
Rosette 1 from "Millie's Flower Garden"
Pattern by Katja Marek,
The New Hexagon Millefiore Quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment