Friday, September 23, 2016

Lucy is Done!!!

Just a quick post to share my happy news.  I've got my Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses quilt done at last!!



Lucy (POTC) quilts are frequently done with English paper piecing, so it's all hand-pieced.  I started it in June of 2014, but I didn't work on it straight through as I've had other projects going at the same time, so I probably spent about nine months total on the stitching part of the quilt top.  Once it came time to quilt it, I took a break for a little while since I wasn't sure exactly how I wanted to quilt it. I ended up deciding to go with straight lines that formed diamonds around the center of each block so that it didn't cover up any of the fussy cutting.  I love how it turned out.  (It was machine quilted using a walking foot.  I haven't learned hand quilting just yet.  Someday!)

I've named the quilt "Daydreams and Heartache" to represent all the stuff going through my mind while I was stitching all of those pieces by hand.  (EPP is an extremely meditative pursuit.)  I found out my mom was terminally ill a few months after I started the quilt, and she died only eight months later, so I sometimes call this my therapy quilt.  I put a lot of my heart into this project, and I can't wait until I can hang it up.  Now I just have to find the wall space!




4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I just started on mine after seeing the blocks on Instagram. I'm also working The New Hexagon blocks, alternating working on them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! It's definitely the project that made me fall in love with English paper piecing. (I did the New Hexagon Millefiore at the same time, too!) I'm looking forward to finding a new EPP project to start on.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I just started on mine after seeing the blocks on Instagram. I'm also working The New Hexagon blocks, alternating working on them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely piece. Glad you had it for your journey.

    ReplyDelete