Sunday, October 23, 2016

A Quilter's Legacy

Do you ever wonder what will happen to the quilts you've made after you're gone?  I was reading one of the Elm Creek Quilters books the other day (The Runaway Quilt), and it got me thinking about the history of quilts and how they are passed down through generations.

This is a great book series.  If you haven't seen them yet,
I highly recommend them!

Every quilt has a story to tell: about the quilter, the world, and the time in which they're made.  And if we're fortunate, our quilts will continue to tell our stories long after we're gone.

I went to the MQX Quilt Festival yesterday.  There were vendors of all kinds, but believe it or not, I didn't spend a dime.  I was there to look at the quilts.  I love a good quilt show and the opportunity they present to be inspired or learn a new technique.  One thing I liked about this show was the detailed descriptions each quilt had with it.  One quilt in particular caught my eye.

It was titled "The Sun, The Moon and The Stars," and it was pieced by Lorna Blount

I was captivated by the stunning pattern, so I took a moment to stop and read the description.  



It moved me, and for a moment I had to pause and reflect on the idea that despite finding out about her illness, she was determined to see her final project completed and entered into a quilt show.  I hope as she sewed each piece that it brought her peace and comfort.

You've probably seen the post shared on Facebook at some point.  It was about a quilter who had passed.  At her funeral, her family put her beautiful quilts on display in the church.  You could find one resting on the back of every pew.  It was breathtaking.  There was even an article published by the San Francisco Globe.


In my opinion, that's the perfect tribute to pay someone who spent so much of her life creating beautiful works of art to share with the people she loved.  And the display of her quilt shows not only do her family recognize how special those quilts are; they're also showing how much they loved her back.

I hope I didn't bring you down pondering the inevitable. In point of fact, I hope it inspires you. Our quilts are more than a hobby, or a way to pass the time. Our quilts, our works of art, our labors of love...they are going to leave our mark on the world. And I find hope in that. We may only have a limited time on this earth, but our quilts will surpass us, continuing to tell our stories, to share our vision, and to wrap those we love in warmth for years to come. I can't think of any better legacy than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment