Sunday, October 16, 2016

Crazy Quilting Ambitions

I do it to myself every year.  I plan too many projects with a totally insane deadline.  Is it the holidays that give me that crazy urge to take on more than I should?  I don't even like deadlines...I certainly don't embrace them.  Why, oh why, do I do this to myself every single year?  Apparently I like to make myself crazy.

First up on the must finish list: eight Stitch'n Fold Wreaths.  I volunteered to make the centerpieces for the guild Christmas party.  Fortunately, I picked something pretty easy to do.  Unfortunately, I picked a project so popular that distributors are back-ordering the foam needed to complete the projects. (Facebook to the rescue.  I was able to find a substitution thanks to the suggestions of my fellow Facebookers.)

Luckily, the other day I figured out a shortcut that uses a third of the fabric and eliminates several steps.  It ends up being a significant cost savings and time saver.  Already, I've got all of the cutting done.  With any luck, I can have these done by the end of next weekend.

WIP: Wreaths in progress

Next on the list: Finish my current work in progress, a Quartered Stripes quilt. The main part of the top is done, but I still have to cut and sew on the borders. After that is pinning and quilting it.  I'm not really sure why this one is such a high priority other than I've been trying to finish projects before starting new ones--plus I just really, really like it and want to see it finished.  But I may have to let this one go until the new year.  Better to put it away for a couple of months than rush through it and be unhappy with the results.

Quartered Stripes is turning out to be one of my favorite patterns.
It won't be the only one I make, I suspect.

Project number 3: a disappearing 4-patch using a charm pack of Christmas fabric.  See, I got this really cute pack of fabric at Missouri Star Quilt Company last weekend.  Naturally, that means I have to make something Christmassy with it before Christmas, otherwise, it'll sit until next year.  I'll likely end up going ahead with it, but we'll have to see what happens with the others on my list.

Now we get to number 4 and 5: I've been wanting to make a new quilt for my youngest son for awhile.  The last actual quilt I made him was crib sized and he's obviously grown considerably since then.  (Now it's a toddler lap quilt.)  I started out making him something English paper pieced, but by the time I get the thing done, he's likely to outgrow the baby motif I used on it.  So I decided to make him a bargello instead.  I even found some really great fabric to use instead of strips.  I'm having to do some math to make the shortcut work, but all in all, it should turn out really cute.

The thing is, if I make a quilt for one kid, I kind of have to make one for the other.  For my oldest son, I'm planning to make him a rag quilt.  I've already got the fabric.  I just need to cut, sew, and cut some more.  Easy-peasy right?  (Yeah, that's how I get myself into these situations in the first place.)  So maybe they'll be birthday quilts instead of Christmas?  Or maybe college graduation quilts!!

I'd also like to be working on an English paper piecing project at some point, but I think that's going to be back-burnered for awhile until I can get this other stuff straightened out.

All in all, my ambitions are starting to get the better of me.  I should really just stick with one thing at a time.  I promise myself every year that I'm done with deadlines, and then I go and make myself crazy anyway.  I can't help it.  I get big ideas.  And if I didn't work full time I might have more time to indulge my quilty ambitions.  But until I can retire (a little over 12 years ... no that I'm counting!) I'll have to stick with fitting in quilting in the in-between times...in between chores, in between errands, in between bedtimes.  And deadlines or not, those in between times are some of the happiest.


No comments:

Post a Comment