Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Fold'n Stitch Wreath Shortcut Tutorial


My goal is to make 8 of these beautiful wreaths this week.  1 down, 7 to go.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that these instructions are predicated on the assumption that you have purchased the Fold'n Stitch Wreath Pattern from Poor House Quilt Designs.  I believe in supporting the designers who bring us these amazing patterns to work from.

Now, for the fun part!!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I volunteered to make eight centerpieces for the quilt guild's Christmas party.  I'd been eyeing this pattern for quite a while, so this was the perfect opportunity to try it out. Time wasn't a concern as they don't take that long to make.  My concern was in the cost.  I made one of these for me before volunteering to make the eight, and all of the materials probably cost me about $30 dollars with all of the fabric, foam, and stabilizer called for in the pattern.  But making them in volume meant I had to figure out a more cost-effective way to make these.  Turns out, the shortcut also saves some time.

Materials needed in the modified pattern:

1/3 yd fabric A (red and green fabric above)
2/3 yd fabric B (white and gold fabric above)
one package of Bosal In-R-Form (cut in 6" squares) or 2/3 yard of Pellon 71F*

*Note: this project is extremely popular right now, so much so that I could not find the foam anywhere at my local quilt shops, Joann's, or even Missouri Star Quilt Company.  (I did see it in other locations online, but at a very marked up price!)  One of my LQS's told me that the foam was back-ordered and they couldn't say when it was going to come in.  Fortunately, there's a very good substitute, Pellon Peltex 71F.  That's what I ended up using for the wreaths for the Christmas project.

Step 1: Cut Fabric A and stabilizer into 6" squares, 12 of each.  Cut Fabric B into (12) 8" squares.

Step 2: Iron the 6" squares onto the stabilizer.


Step 3: Center the fused square into the middle of the 8" square, wrong sides together.  You can measure if you like.  (There should be 1" of space all the way around.)  However, I just eyeballed it, and it turned out fine.

Step 4: Next, I used a technique I learned about called Rae's Cheater Binding. It's a genius way of doing a quick binding without having to sew on a binding strip. It's fantastic for small projects like this.  You start by folding the raw edge of the fabric until it touches the edge of the square.


Step 5: Fold it again, overlapping the edge of the fabric, creating an edge of binding.  Put a clip about an inch from the corner you're working towards.


Step 6: Fold the corner over towards the side perpendicular to the one you just completed.  You should have a smidgen of space in between the folded fabric and the edge of the 6" square.



Step 7: Repeat steps 4 through 6 on the other sides until you get to the final corner.  Notice the perfect mitered corner you get by doing this technique. (Like I said, Rae's a genius!!)



Step 8: At the final corner, you're going to have to straighten out the original side just a bit in order to fold your corner over.  Once it's folded, fix the original side until all four sides are completed.





That's it!  From here on out, just follow the steps in the original pattern.

You should note that there is one down side to doing the technique this way. Doing the Fold'n Stitch Wreath using the original pattern, you have three colors instead of two, which can add a nice accent to the wreath.

This wreath is dark blue, light blue, and white.
The third color does make for a nice accent.

However, since I was more concerned about cost savings, it was better to save on the amount of fabric used.

I hope this tutorial is helpful.  Please let me know if any of my instructions aren't clear.  Happy crafting!!






18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this, u r so clear, im a person that cant read patterns that great, but a video i can!! cant wait to try yours thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like you. I need my instructions to be step by step. I'm glad they were helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ever so much for this. I have only made three so far, but this will be my new method! Now to find some low-priced buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that Pellon product, I see two available, two sided and one sided fusible. Which do you recommend? Thank you

      Delete
    2. The one I used was 71F, which is single-sided.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. I have the pattern in my cart and was just waiting to see what kind of stabilizer to use. I hope I can do as well as all I have seen posted... works of art!

      Delete
    4. I don't think you can go wrong. Every one I've seen has been beautiful. :)

      Delete
  5. Where were you a year ago. I started by making 4 for Christmas, 2 for Valentines Day, 2 for St Patrick Day and 4 for Easter. Then summer came and I made 15 Patriotic ones which I sold most of them. What a time and money saver your method is. Thanks for the great tutorial. Guess I'll pull out some Christmas material and get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only recently discovered it myself. Have fun with the next batch!

      Delete
  6. I just found this. I just have to thank you for a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for your explication nice job

    ReplyDelete