Monday, October 3, 2016

The Inspired Quilter's Bucket List

I'm betting pretty much everyone knows what a bucket list is ... that personal list of things you wish to accomplish before you kick the proverbial bucket.  In my case, my list does not consist of things like bungee jumping or a trip to Scotland (though if a free trip just happened to fall into my lap, I certainly wouldn't say no).  

No, my list is more of a quilter's bucket list: a list of the projects I'd like to finish before I'm no longer able to quilt.  The list gets longer on a daily basis.  It doesn't help that Pinterest, Facebook, and Missouri Star Quilt Company are always tempting me with new, amazing quilt projects I can try.  

My quilting bucket list follows, in no particular order (because let's face it, I have the attention span of a toddler most days). 

Missouri Star Quilt Company has a couple of really cool tutorials that caught my eye.  First is Quartered Stripes.  I'm actually working on this one now.  (I just had to finish a few other projects first.  I'm trying this new thing called finishing things I've started!)  The fabric is awesome, with soft blues, browns, and creams, plus a little bit of sparkle.  (I love sparkly fabric!)  I'm about halfway done with it, so I'm sure you'll be seeing more pictures of it in the not too distant future.  

My work in progress.  I love this fabric!

The other MSQC tutorial I'm planning to do is the Easy Cathedral Window.  I've done cathedral window before.  It's a fun pattern, but it's a lot of hand stitching, and the way I learned, it took a lot of fabric.  The Missouri Star Quilt Company version of the pattern seems to be a lot more fabric-friendly, plus she shows you how to sew it by machine.  Some may consider that cheating.  I consider it time-economical, which leaves more time for more quilts.

Next up is the Blooming Nine Patch.  It's from a book called "Tradition With a Twist" by Blanche Young and Dalene Young Stone.  On top of that, I want to design my own fabric for it.  A few years ago I was into flower photography, and by extension I liked creating kaleidoscopes from some of my photos.  It occurred to me one day that my kaleidoscopes would make some really cute fabric. (There's a company called Spoonflower that you can use to upload your designs and create digitally-printed fabric.  How cool is that?!)  

This would make a pretty quilt.
Another quilt on the list is the One Block Wonder.  This a really awesome pattern that looks like a bunch of kaleidoscope hexagons or octagons swirling around. Amazingly enough (and I only found this out recently), it's all made from one fabric.  This pattern is found in "One-Block Wonders: One Fabric, One Shape, One-of-a-Kind Quilts" by Maxine Rosenthal.  (I guess the title should have been my first clue, huh?)  The cutting seems like it might be kind of tricky, so I might fussy cut a little bit differently, but I still want to attempt it.  

As I've shared before, I'm really into English paper piecing.  One EPP project that's on my list is the La Passacaglia.  I have seen some beautiful quilts made from this pattern.  I've already got all the materials and the book ("Millefiori Quilts" by Willyne Hammerstein).  I just have to find the time.  This one's got some intricate piecing involved.  

A few others on my list: a yo-yo quilt, a rag quilt, a watercolor quilt, landscape quilt, a puff quilt, another bargello quilt (I found some really great fabric for this. It's probably next after my Quartered Stripes quilt is done), a crazy quilt, and a stained glass quilt.  No doubt by next week, I'll have found a couple more blocks or patterns I want to try.  (Oh yeah!  The Texas Star!)  

I realize I'm not likely to complete every idea on my list, not even if I quit work and quilt full time.  (One can dream!)  But it's nice to have things so many exciting ideas to choose from.  It's running out of ideas that I find terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment